One of the most prized products perpetually part of our Nourished Warrior arsenal, is the magical, remarkable, miracle food: Coconut Oil. Peeps in the tropics, lucky enough to be surrounded by a never-ending supply of this amazing stuff- know the value of this ancient cure. It’s a serum, a cleanser, a weight loss tool, a cooking ingredient, a quenching hydrator for hair, skin, body, and makes some of hands down the best toothpaste on earth. The secrets of oil pulling are not to be blown off, with the billions of bacteria in our mouths at any given moment- oil pulling is a near miraculous cure for dental hygiene and the many purported illnesses and dies-ease that can be a by-product of poor dental hygiene.
the miraculous thing about coconut oil- possibly is that every single day we find yet another use for this glorious powerhouse, nutritional fucken ninjafood at its very very best- there aren’t enough words to toss at this bliss to ever articulate just how lustily we incense ourselves in riding this cantlivewithout workhorse.
– each and every instance or application on this list has research, study and an abundance of individual review-based evidence backing them, i have included a few key resources for your discovery adventures, however the info out there is incredibly comprehensive and thus, a quick google is reccod.- researching any one of these numbered cures & uses will give you a plethora of descriptive best-practices in order to employ coconut oil for your desired use.
pls. also consult with a professional caregiver prior to replacing or integrating any part of your prescribed healing regimen with coconut oil.
The Top 11
Anti s of Coconut Oil:
How we like our oil:
Organic, Cold-pressed & Unrefined: ( virgin or extra-virgin) – this oil is from fresh nuts, sans-processing or heat, it is the purest, most organic form of the tropical nectar. Also the tastiest, and most nutrient-dense, this pristine virgin nectar carries with it a deliciously mild sensory experience.
please purchase no hydrogenated, refined, blasphemized BPA-packaged abominations.
when considering which brands to buy here in Canada- we have a slew of options- but as a small digression it serves to be said: where coconuts actually grow is a whole different level, i recall the first time i was taught to make coconut oil in Tulum, from fresh coconuts that were harvested by a Spanish-bearded Hippie from Montreal who shimmied up a tree in some manner of renaissance ancestral throwback to our ape brothers. These treasures were so abundant on the beach- those months and months i lived there i nearly became ( nearly ) sometimes too accustomed to the bounty and had to remind myself what a gift it was; this is especially resonant now, back in Canada when the tetra packed mass packaged and horrifically priced knock-offs of coconut water are more and more prevalent on store shelves. making the oil is actually a simple process that requires only a few items and some patience. baby coconuts yield not only the best meat but the best by=products all around- the water is potent, but not like that that comes form older nuts- and is borderline kombucha-esque… in a gentle means-business manner.
so needless to say those other lucky warriors whom have also had the luxury of living in a climate where wacking down a bunch of coconuts and indulging in all day replenishment is a natural part of daily life- will attest to the difference between authentic and what is available in the upper north america. that said, there are some leaders in the coconut oil bottling business that i believe are doing a bang-up job at harnessing the best and most authentic goodness…
My Fav: Dr. Bronner’s Organic White Virgin Coconut Oil
Expeller pressed unrefined whole kernel oil
Company Origin: USA / Coconut Origin: not sure. / $11 – $12 (14 oz. )
get it: http://www.drbronner.com/
some other brands we recco.
Coldpressed, organic and unrefined
Company Origin: Quebec, Canada / Coconut Origin: Philippines / $12 – $15 (454g)
get it: MaisonOrphee.com
Organic, Raw, unrefined coldpressed & virgin
Company Origin: California, United States / Coconut Origin: Southeast Asia / $12 – $15 (454g)
get it: ArtisanaFoods.com
organic, cold pressed & unrefined
Company Origin: USA / Coconut Origin: not sure / about $12/355ml
get it: @ http://www.nowfoods.com/
let’s get down to the list: and please note, this piece is definitely going to be on-going, there is no way i will be able to spell out every use, every wonder and every benefit in one piece without writing a novel-length discourse. consider this vol. 1 of a never-ending series. 🙂
Coconut Oil & Overall Health and Wellness
1. Appetite controller – the goods fats in the oil actually trigger release of hormones which slow down movement of foods through the digestive tract – and thus prolongs the feeling of fullness after eating
2. Breastfeeding – this is a no brainer for sore nips but also for enriching the milk itself, by taking a few tablespoons a day it actually helps increase the production of milk.
3. Bones and Teeth – aids the absorption of calcium and magnesium which empowers bones and teeth
4. Blood Sugar Stabilizer: by improving insulin secretion, and how your body actually uses blood glucose. it’s a great choice for diabetics and those who suffer from issues with glycemia / blood sugar levels
5. Digestion – saturated fats in coconut oil help control bacteria, parasites and fungi that lead to digestive issues like crohns, IBS and gastric ulcers; also noted here is its ability to aid in the absobtion of vitamins, minerals, amino acids etc. boosting the bio-availability factor of your daily supplementing regime.
6. Energy Boost – gives you a boost of energy and is often rccod to athletes or those in intense physically demanding conditions as a quick pickmeup- as it also helps with endurance.
7. Bones / Teeth : coconut oil assists in the absorption of magnesium and calcium: essential for strong bones and healthy chompers
8. Lung Function – increases the fluidity of cell surfaces.
9. Pregnancy – helps prevent gestational diabetes; keeps kidneys functioning; keeps morning sickness in check; and protects a mother-to-be from a host of potentially threatening infections as well as boost her immunity, which is naturally weakened during pregnancy.
10. Prevents oxidation of fatty acids
11. Skin care – the benefits for your skin, are endless- and could be an article within itself ( and most likely will be ) so i will just hit a few topnotes here, ( skincare companies have been trying to mimic the healing and nourishing goodness of this liquid goddessesence; all of them failing miserably but still making billions in profit via consumer ignorance and glossy marketing tactic ) – coconut oil is a protector from free radical and oxidative damage to your skin, it promotes firmer, smoother, more hydrated, more radiant skin- ( ok. seriously- there really aint nothin’ this DOESNT do for your skin. ) and those who worry about the notion of putting oil on your face need not, coconut oil ain’t that kind of oil. its medium chain triglyceride molecular makeup is not the proper size to clog pores ) – on top of it all – coconut oil provides up to 20SPF, making it a fantastic alternative to chemical-filled sunscreens and liquid gold for getting tropical glow.
12.Stress Relief – if the notion that you are at once losing weight, becoming younger, preventing disease, reversing aging, replenishing your body’s vital nutrients and pretty much all around tapping in to the fountain of youth by incorporating coconut oil into your life, doesn’t reduce your overall stress level; you can look to it to relieve mental fatigue by perhaps indulging in a coconut oil massage– apply it to your head, hands, torso, and everywhere else you can reach and massage in a circular motion, the scent itself will soothe you into an aromatherapeutic state of beachy-bliss-like relief. -( the aroma of coconut is a known therapeutic stress reliever. ) and if you want to get sexy, have someone else rub you down with it. it makes, bar-none, the ultimate massage oil… and if you get sexy, it also makes unbelievably fantastic lube. 😉
13. Vitamin and nutrient absorption – boosts the bioavailability of other important supplements.
14. Weight loss – medium chain fatty acids contribute to overall weight loss by producing energy in the body vs. fat. meaning even though it is a saturated fat -it actually boosts metabolic rate contribute to weight loss and also increases metabolic rate, stimulates metabolism, improves thyroid function, and with the boost of energy you are also getting- acts as an all around must-have dietary supplement. helps build lean muscle mass.
97 CURES to diseases ( a-z )
Coconut Oil for Chronic Health Challenges
when taken internally, and externally as well in some cases, coconut oil has significant disease-fighting power.
it is known for aiding, preventing, relieving + in some cases totally obliterating the following ninety-seven health issues:
i recco. doing your own research before treatment, as well as browsing as many sites as you need to in order to find the appropriate scientific research. copy & paste any of the below into google/bing or whatever search engine suits your fancy…
( SEARCH Marketing and SEO tip: sometimes you really gotta dig into google and make it past paid SEO and google rankings, to find those hidden gems! typically anything on the first 5 pages is engineered to be there, but doesn’t necessarily mean it is the best info )
1. Acid Reflux/Indigestion Aid
2. ADD/ ADHD
7. Blood Pressure Regulation
8. Bowel Function
9. Bronchial Infections
10. Cancer – has been shown to prevent colon and breast cancer in laboratory tests
12. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
14. Cholesterol – improves HDL to LDL %
15. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
16. Crohn’s Disease
18. Colds cures the common cold and other flu-like Viruses
20. Cystic Fibrosis
22. Degenerative Diseases
24. De-Quervains Tenosynovitis
25. Diabetes – helps stabilize blood sugar.
30. Energy boost
32. Fever Support
33. Fibrocystic Breast
34. Flaky, Dry Skin
35. Gallbladder disease and pain
41. Grave’s Disease
42. Gum Disease
43. H. Pylori
46. Head Lice
47. Heart Disease
49. HIV – is known to reduce the viral load
50. Hormone Regulator
52. Immune System Builder
55. Irritable Bowel Syndrome
57. Kidney Disease
58. Kidney Stones – aids in dissolving them
59. Liver Disease
60. Lou Gehrig’s Disease (ALS)
61. Low Blood Clotting
62. Lung Disease
64. Malabsorption Syndrome
66. Menstrual Cramps
67. Mental Clarity
68. Menopause –
69. Menstruation Relief
73. Multiple Sclerosis
78. Periodontal Disease/ Tooth Decay
80. Prostate Enlargement
81. Retinitis Pigmentosa
84. Skin problems
86. Smoker’s Cough
87. Spider Veins
89. Stomach Ulcers
91. Toenail fungus
93. Thyroid Function
95. Ulcerative Colitis
96. UTI’s + Bladder Infections
97. Yeast Infections
1. Acne – the fact that coconut oil is a superb antispetic, antioxidant and
2. Allergies/Hay Fever – rub inside the nasal passage to form a barrier against clingy pollen and allergins
3. Arthritis- eases inflmmation
4. Athletes foot – anti-fungal power of coconut oil is a quick cure for itchy, burny, athletes feet
5. Back Pain/Sore Muscles see # 3
6. Balding –Coconut oil supports cell regeneration.
7. Boils and Cysts
8. Canker Sores
10. Cold Sores
11. Conjunctivitis – applied around and in the eye
12. Contact Dermatitis
13. Decongestant – rub coconut oil on the chest and under the nose when congested from a cold or allergies.
15. Genital Warts – through topical application over 6 weeks and coconut oil enemas twice a day depending on the location of the warts.
16. Gum Disease and Gingivitis – use as a toothpaste or rub directly on gums
17. Herpes (applied topically and taken internally)
19. Itchy Eyes – put a dab of coconut oil in itchy eyes. You will have blurred vision for a couple of minutes but the itch will be gone!
20. Keloids – apply keloid /scarred skin x3 a day to reduce puffyness and restore balance and appearance of scar tissue.
21. Keratosis Pilaris – apply on its own or add himalayan or sea salt and create an amazing exfoliator.
22. Pink eye – use around the eye – and/or in the eye to soothe and heal
26. Warts 27. Insect Repellent – those little bastards just don’t dig it.
28. Lubricant – it is an allaround superfood slip and slide for anything your imagination can conjure up
RX prescriptions for first aid
1. Age Spots ( aka: liver spots ) – apply oil onto spot 2X/day after a few months the spot will fade.
2. Animal Bites – apply oil to wound immediately for cleansing, inflammation reduction, anti-bacterial capacity + followup w a 3x/day regimen to assist healing.
3. Antacid Substitute – combine 1 teaspoon oil w/cinnamon + baking soda = freedom from burn.
4. Bed Sores – apply oil to sores 3x/day to speed healing, reduce inflammation, prevent infection.
5. Birth Marks – similar to age spots, oil can be applied 1-3x/day w/ or w/out applecider vinegar to aid fading
6. Breastfeeding Bite – treat similarly to an animal bite. also soothes sore nips
7. Broken Bones – take 2 tbsp/day to aid in absorbption of calcium + promote rebuilding and healing.
8. Bruises – apply to bruise 2x/day to reduce swelling, redness and tenderness.
9. Bug Bites and Stings – apply as many times as needed per day to kill potential bacteria, ease itching, burning and swelling + to aid swift healing.
10. Burns – apply to burn asap. continue to apply 3x/day until healed, assists in reducing scarring.
11. Chicken Pox – take 1tbsp/day + apply liberally all over body + pox 3-5 times/day to relieve itching + inflammation, and assist in the curing of the disease. ( can also be added to baths to create a soothing soak.
12. Dry Eyes – 1 dab per eye @ night & throw away the chemical laden visine products.
13. Ear Infection – 2 drops per ear 2X/day for pain relief + infection battling capacity.
14. Food Poisoning –take 2tbsp 2X/day to ease symptoms + promote swift recovery.
15. Hang Nails – soak hands in a tub of warm water and coconut oil and / or apply to each affected area 3X/day.
16. Healing cuts, wounds, scrapes, scratches – apply to affected areas 3X/day. forms a protective layer over skin, helps repair damage, ease pain & inflammation.
17. Impotence/ ED –take 2tbsp / day + use as desired in intimate areas. coconut oil is known to assist in reproductive issues, endocrine + hormonal issues and the scent is something of an aphrodisiac. as an alternative to traditional petroleum based lubes, it makes a delicious organic alternative with no chemical-toxin-filled side effects that can contribute to sexual dysfunction among other things.
18. Ingrownnails – apply 2X/day to affected nails to aid in healing & fight infection.
19. Insomnia – take 1tbsp 1X/day to improve overall health and wellness and to regulate bodily systems that contribute to achieving a healthy sleep. c
20. Jock Itch – apply to affected area 2X/day to ease itch, inflammation, continued use on the body will prevent future flareups.
21. Laryngitis – 1tbsp 3X/day – gargle and rinse with water.
22. Leg Cramps – take 1tbsp 1X/day to support potassium & calcium levels + rub onto painful legs to ease discomfort.
23. Lice – can be used as a treatment for lice. http://www.wikihow.com/Kill-Head-Lice-Naturally
24. Mole Remover – evidently applying this post applecidervinegar compress has been known to see moles go MIA in just a few weeks- sans laser-surgery!
25. Nausea – rub some coconut oil on your belly and your pulse points and/or meridians
26. Nose Bleeds – quenches dry passages. apply liberally to each nostril
27. Oral Health – Oil pulling is an ancient secret that has made its way into modern day oral routines, including my own- coconut oil whitens teeth, prevents decay, heals sores, banishes bacteria among a plethora of other amazing curative actions. i recco googling oil pulling asap and making it a part of your daily regimen.
28. Oral Surgery – applied to surgery site, helps healing+ prevents infection.
29. Itch relief / infection protection: poison ivy, oak, sumac and countless other irritating plants and substances.
30. Ringworm – apply to area 8-10 X /day until healed.
31. Snake Bites –( not that this happens alot but… ) neutralizes venom toxicity, stops pain, burning, itching associated w/snake bite+ promotes healing of wound.
32. Sore Throat Soother – 1 spoonful w/warm water + gargle for a few minutes.
33. Snoring Relief – rub a dab into each nasal passage prior to slumber to reduce swelling and clear clogged airways that cause snoring.
34. Sty Treatment – 1 dab 3X/day onto sty until healed.
35. Sun Burn Relief – coconut oil would have prevented this in the first place due to its SPF ability. but applying 3-5x/day to affected area is like bliss.
36. Super-vital support for substance abuse recovery (Alcohol or Drug Detox )– 3-5tbsp /day to boost hydration, purification + energy levels during the detox period. c
37. Swimmers Ear – i heard coconut oil + garlic = a cure to this. try mixing them and dropping them into your ears a few times a day.
48.. Toothache – see oral health. gargling with coconut oil, or doing an oil pull will ease the inflammation and assist in fighting any infection on its way.
39. Yoni Dryness – coconut oil makes the best lube on the planet, for any and everything- your yoni included
nature’s best beauty product – a million ways to bless your temple
the benefits for your body are endless- skincare companies have been trying to mimic the healing and nourishing goodness of this liquid goddessesence; all of them failing miserably but still making billions in profit via consumer ignorance and glossy marketing tactic ) – coconut oil is a protector from free radical and oxidative damage to your skin, it promotes firmer, smoother, more hydrated, more radiant skin- and those who worry about the notion of putting oil on your face need not, coconut oil ain’t that kind of oil. its medium chain triglyceride molecular makeup is not the proper size to clog pores ) – on top of it all – coconut oil provides up to 20SPF, making it a fantastic alternative to chemical-filled sunscreens and liquid gold for getting tropical glow.
• After Shave & as a shaving balm – lubes. quenches. soothes. protects. heals. bye bye razor burn.• Exfoliator & Body Scrub – blend coconut oil, himalayan salt or coconut sugar + ( essential oils if you are so inclined) apply body-wide in the shower for a super-spa like exfoliation bliss. • Facial Cleanser – replace your cleanser with a blend of coconut oil & olive or almond oil, massage into face-( leave for a few minutes) rinse. instant glow. • Stretch Marks – for use during pregnancy to help prevent stretch marks, and to nourish and boosy repairative capacity of skin. • Sunscreen – coconut oil has an inherent SPF. i used to get 3rd degree burns, i mean i would burn through baby sunscreen with an SPF of 75. when i lived in mexico i went naked on the beach daily in 100 degree carribean sun wearing nothing but coconut oil. not once did i burn the entire time i was there. no joke. • Makeup Remover – never again use a chemical concoction or rub your poor face raw trying to remove waterproof mascara. coconut oil + cotton ball = nature’s natural wonder remover. • Moisturizer – once i found coconut oil i never looked back. its my-go to head-to-toe body quencher- absorbs quicker than other oils, nourishes the skin, and its soothing diversity makes it a fail-safe for even sensitive areas.•Minimize Pores – daily dabs will help visible pores disappear. • Oily Skin Zapper – seems weird right? but a dime-sized amount will help reduce oily t-zones. wear under makeup
• Dandruff – add to shampoo for symptomatic relief of dandruff. coconut oil assists in the control of oil secretion from your scalp- which contributes to the cause. • Skin protector- Hair dye –use as a protector against inadvertantly dying your skin by applying along the hairline and on the ears prior to your next dye job. • Conditioner/ Hair Treatment – the hidden-gem secret of curly-haired girls the world over. add to your conditioner. use as a conditioner or deep treatment. apply liberally to hair and scalp, wrap in a hot towel for an hour or leave in overnight- for a protein-building, silky, nourished and shiny mane. • Hair Product – use as a defrizzing balm or a hair gel to hold in place. use a quarter sized amount in your palm and massage from root to tip, scrunch hair or apply to strands as desired.
• Hair Fortifier – bonds to the hair follicles rendering them super strong and forified. • Pre- wash hair treatment– massage into hair prior to your shampoo to reduce frizz, and boosy moisture and shine.
• Split end healer : apply daily to split ends- coconut oil helps repair damage to the hair, seal the cuticle and prevent future splits.
Hands & Nails:
• Nail Polish Quick Dry — apply via spray-bottle to freshly painted nails for a quick-dry fix
• Nail Strengthener & conditioner: use it as a treatment on finger and toe to repair cracked, brittle nails. apply daily to nourish and fortify – leaving nails shiny and healthy looking. ; • • Hand Cleanser– literally the best hand cleaner on the planet. removes everything from wax to paint to turmeric-yellow-nails, to garlic to grease to oil based products • Cuticle Cream –use as a cuticle serum or whilst getting a manicure- to aid in removal of cuticles
• Ear cleanser – add a touch on a qtip for to help remove ear wax.
Mouth & Lips:
• Balm for lips – arguably the best lip balm on the planet. its natural SPF helps protect lips whilst doing softening work…stays lubed for hours.
•Eye Cream – apply on lids, under eyes, to brow bones and around the entire eye area in the AM + PM for a superfood serum with an anti-puffy, anti-aging punch.
•Eyelash Conditioner – use a mascara wand to apply to lashes, or add to your mascara tube for extra conditioning and growth promotion.
Tricks, Tips, Secrets
• Deodorant – homemade- anti-toxic deodorant. use it alone on underarms or blend up an eco-stick by combining any of the following: baking soda, arrowroot powder, essential oil + beeswax and aloe
• Sunless Tan Lotion -for those peeps who dig a self-tanning, i’ve heard te;; mixing coconut oil with nutmeg and coffee grounds will work in place of the streaky orange goo.
• Varicose Veins – helps hide and heal
• Tattoos – for its obvious healing and moisturizing capacity- coconut oil can do a bangup job as tattoo-goo.
• Vitiligo + Hyperpigmentation – helps restore pigment, remove dark spots and heal patchy skin from rosacea and other skin syndromes
Wrinkle reduction and prevention– rubbing coconut oil on winkles and sagging skin helps strengthen the connective tissues to bring back that youthful look!
• Wax Removal – post body and eyebrow waxing use coconut oil to remove the leftover wax and soothe irritated skin.
As good as this nectar is for us it’s equally as useful for your feline and canine and other furry friends. • Daily dosing will aid in nutrient absorbtion, improve digestion, boost immune system, heal disorders like IBS, colitis and colic and will assist in the elimination of hairballs. Heal arthritis, help in weight loss, boost energy and the medium chain triglycerides have been proven to decrease amyloid buildup of protein that afflicts aging dogs.
• Start with supplementing your pet’s diet with about 1/4 teaspoon for every 10 pounds of body weight 2X per day. recommended dosage for animals is 1/4 teaspoon for every 10 pounds of body weight twice daily when taken internally.
• Heals bites, stings, wounds, fleas, dry skin + allergies and other issues that animals tend to agitate. Apply to affected area or all over coat 2X/day for as long as required. • dosing and conditioning your pets will result in a super-shiny coat.
• Prevents& treat infections like fungus and candida and reduce skin allergies- once my cat erupted with an all over allergy from an unknown source- poor meng meng was crying and scratching for days and days on end and nothing worked- i tried wrapping her body in a sock, i tried covering her claws- anything i coudl think of to stop the spreading of the psoriasis-like skin flaking- the only thing that worked was soaking her in coconut oil 3 times a day and covering her up with a home-made bandage; in just 2 short days she was completely healed.
A note on wee ones:
From cradle cap, to colic to diaper rash to teething to a healthy and hydrating addition to formula, the incorporation of coconut oil into baby’s life is essential. There are countless products on the market that are riddled with toxins- literally try going into the children’s department at any store and seeking out a product sans PEG, paraben, sulfate, or petroleum-based ethanols; it’s nearly impossible and terribly frightening to be introducing these carcinogens so early in life. So please take this guide and adapt it as you see fit for use in your young one’s life. I can almost guarantee that even replacing the essentials like diaper cream, baby wipes and talcs will result in a far more even tempered, healthy child. There are no doubt countless mommy blogs out there singing the praises and offering up the recipes and secret weapons for integrating this into daily-life. If you are a mommy or a mommy to be, do your whole family a favour.
Coconut oil cleans up
• use it to clean counters, floors, stoves, sinks, toilets, remove stains from laundry, take wax out of clothing, clean silverware, protect ceiling fans from dust accumulation, wax your car, clean carpet stains and remove odours, clean walls from fingerprints and assist in the removal of stubborn wallpaper, clean and deodorize your fridge, remove stickers and other sticky substances from nearly any object, add lemon, baking soda and vinegar to make bar-none the best eco- cleaning product of all time.
…all that and you can eat it!
As if all of those sublime uses were not enough, the most prevalent use in modern culture for coconut oil is in cuisine. Since the dawn of time this oil has been held sacred an incorporated into daily diets in a plethora of creative ways that contribute to optimal health. Use it as a cooking oil or butter substitute in your gluten free baking-( use a 1 cup to 1 cup ratio when replacing butter in recipes with coconut oil.) Add it to shakes, smoothies, juices and teas for a superfood supplementation, Use it frozen into ice-cube trays, as a salad dressing, or soup-addition, steep herbs in it for delicious extracts… the ideas are as vast as your beautiful imagination.
A Secret Weapon with more uses than duct tape.
From bases for homemade products to clean fuel for cars, to lubing up your shovels in the cold winter for easy snow-catching action ( seriously i just did this today after a massive february-dumping of snow ) to cleaning paint from your brushes, to removing gum from your kid’s hair, to freeing a stuck zipper, to stopping a squeaky mattress to lubing your guitar strings to lubing your lover… the benefits are endless and the best part is you can get as creative as you like. I will continue adding to this list as i discover more uses, but no doubt at this point – like myself you are probably asking the question- is there truly, feasibly anything this miraculous oil can’t do?!?! and my dears i believe the answer is a resounding no. In fact if there is something that you discover coconut oil is not good for, let us know and we will purchase your next jar for you. In the meantime feel free to go all cocoloco.